Slow-cooked and succulent you can make the best pulled pork right in your own kitchen. You don't need a smoker for this recipe, just a slow-cooker. Use the pork in a sandwich, toss it into a taco or create an epic quesadilla. The choice is yours!
1. Place all ingredients for the rub in one bowl and mix to combine, or use your favourite combination of spices and salt.
2. Once the seasoning is mixed together, coat your meat with it. Let it rest for 6 - 8 hours or overnight if possible.
3. When you're ready to start cooking, peel and slice your onion into 1/2" thick rings. Place the sliced onion in the bottom of the slower cooker. Place the pork in the slow cooker fat side up on top of the sliced onions and add the 1 oz. of liquid smoke.
4. Put your slow cooker on high for 3 hours and then turn it down to low for another 6 hours. Option to cook on low for a complete 12 hours if you don't want to switch the temperature.
5. When the meat is ready, it's fork tender and should fall apart. Remove the meat from the liquid and place onto a tray or bowl. Pull apart the meat with two forks and remove any large chunks of fat.
6. Once the meat is pulled, place back in the liquid in the slow cooker and continue to cook for 1 hour on low. At this point you can remove the pork and enjoy as is or mix in your favourite BBQ sauce
7. You can serve right away or keep it in your fridge for 3-4 days to enjoy in different ways.
Once you complete these steps your pork is ready! Use it in your favourite recipes like an epic sandwich, set up a taco bar or toss it into a quesadilla. Enjoy!
• 4 - 5 pound Pork Shoulder
• 5 tbsp of seasoning of your choice or Pork Rub (recipe below)
• 1 oz. liquid smoke (optional)
• 1 spanish onion
• BBQ sauce
• 1 tbsp onion powder
• 2 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 1 tsp chipotle powder
• 1 tsp smoked paprika
• 1 tbsp sea salt