There's nothin' like the mix of beans, bacon and BBQ sauce to amp up this classic side dish.
•Four cans of beans, use whatever is in your pantry. For this recipe we used:
• Two 398 ml cans of baked beans in tomato sauce
• One Can 540 ml of Red Kidney Beans (rinsed)
• One Can 540 ml of White Kidney Beans (rinsed)
• ½ cup BBQ sauce (we used Montana’s Apple Butter)
• ½ cup of brown sugar
• 1 tbsp smoked paprika
• 1 tbsp of seasoning salt or a mixture of salt & pepper
• 1 cup of water
• 6 slices of thick cut bacon
• 4-5oz of wood chips
1. Mix all the ingredients together and transfer to a disposable aluminum pan.
2. Once in the pan, top mixture with slices of thick cut bacon.
3. To make the best smoky beans, you’ll have to turn your grill into a smoker! Purchase a small smoker box and wood chips or make your own with tin foil.
4. Soak your wood chips for 15-20 minutes, drain them and add to the smoker box or your tin foil.
5. Light up your grill and keep one side on high heat, this is where your smoker box will go. The other side of the grill should be on the lowest setting, place your tray of uncovered beans here.
6. Close the lid and let the cooking begin. Check back in 30 - 45 minutes and if the temperature of your grill is over 300°F turn the burner below the beans off. .
7. The beans are done when they’re bubbling and the bacon is crisped to perfection! (approximately 1.5 to 2 hours)